Ok, so I've been applying for federal jobs left and right. The pay is generally fantastic, I'll be able to use my military time toward retirement, the work is next to the daycare we'll probably be using, and the job portability can't be beat!
As I've said in previous posts, my resume has recently been "forwarded on to the selection official" for two different positions. This means that I have made it past the computer screening, plus an actual person at HR. I'm one of few (3? 10?) to get that far.
The first position is a GS3. It's an HR assistant position. I'd basically be dealing with army personnel records all day. GS3 is basically a high school graduate level position, however, and only brings in $20k. While getting my foot in the door is very important, working full time for $20k isn't too cool. We're in the position where Darrell's salary pays all of our bills, though, so anything I make will go towards debt. Therefore, more money isn't NECESSARY, but rather nice. And hopefully with my foot in the door, I can more easily get hired on at a higher GS level when we move.
The second position is much more to my liking, all the way around. It's a GS7 position, starting at $35k!! The official job title is Social Services Assistant, but the actual working title is Army Community Service Division Education and Training Coordinator. This job is right up my alley. It combines the education and training bits that I've done before, with the coordinator work I've done before, with helping out families while they try to cope with the military lifestyle.
My resume was forwarded on for the first position on 23 Feb, and the second position on 6 Mar. The interview I just got called for is for the first position. Of course I will go, but I am hoping that I get the interview for the second position soon so that if all goes well, I'll be able to make the decision on the second before having to decide on the first.
That is assuming that all goes well and I get the offer on both. Honestly, I'd be happy with the first (the whole foot in the door thing) if the second doesn't pan out, but I'll be upset if I accept the first, only to get offered the second.
At this point, all I can do is wait. Neither may want to hire me once they find out I'll be needing six weeks off. It may be a moot point. I'm aware that they cannot NOT hire me because of my pregnancy, but I'm also realistic enough to know that they can come up with a thousand other "reasons" to not offer me the position.
The interview for the first position is on Thursday, March 16th at 9am. It's a three person panel interview, that should be fun... (Uh, right!)
Originally posted: Wednesday March 8, 2006 - 11:01am