Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Civilian living in the Army

Yes, we're still an Army family, but we're living in the middle of Army-nowhere. The nearest Army post is hours and hours away. I thought I'd like it, but I don't think I do.

Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful here. We loved living in Colorado Springs with the mountains right next to us. Although there aren't any mountains in view, we are living in a house less than two blocks from a small lake. A completely different kind of beautiful. I've never lived lakeside before, and we're looking forward to taking advantage of it. Apparently it will freeze over this winter - I've already seen flyers for an ice putt-putt fundraiser. Fun! And of course we hope to rent a boat at some point.

Also, we're in the lake effect region of the country. You'd think we would have gotten lots of snow in Colorado, but not where we were in the Springs. The average snowfall here is about 150 inches per winter season. Yikes!

So as much as we're enjoying the location, I'm missing the camaraderie. I haven't made any friends yet, there aren't any new-military-family events, and until next month, I haven't had a job. I've very much enjoyed taking some time off, but I'm starting to get stir crazy. I've read literally hundreds of books, taken the (new) dog for many walks, and enjoyed many naps, but I'm raring to get back into the working world. And for those of you who are my Facebook friends, you'll get this complaint again - I really miss the commissary! We've been so spoiled being able to buy groceries at super low prices. The sticker shock hits me every time I go to the store here.

We're not completely alone; Darrell isn't working by himself, after all. There's just no comparison between brigades worth of Soldiers and their families and a small office with less than a dozen coworkers. It's different, and it's reminded me of how much I really do like living in an Army community.

4 comments:

  1. hugs! As you know, I am right there with you on the loneliness that is absent the blessings of a military base.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to NW PA! You do know that you're in my old stomping ground, right?

    You live literally about 5-10 miles from the house I grew up in (and where my parents still live).

    Let me know if you need any tips about the area. I'll let you know that last time I checked John's Wildwood Pizzeria was the best in town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No! I had no idea you were from here. Fun! If you come to visit your parents, let me know. And we've absolutely already given John some of our money. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, here's one - where's the best Chinese buffet around here?

    ReplyDelete